The Boy Who Would Be Time Lord King

Chapter 6

Julia could only watch in horror as her old Council contact arose before her, in flesh and blood, and approached. Alonzo was blinking his eyes in amazement.

"Good morning, Dr. Heller," Reilly said pleasantly. "I trust you slept well."

The Doctor grabbed Alonzo from behind. "Don't!" he said. "It's really not worth it!"

"Let me go, Doctor," Alonzo said, staring at Reilly with hatred, straining against the Doctor's grip. "I don't know what he's doing here, but this bastard tried to kill Julia! You saw it! He ordered a ZED to beat her and interrogate her. So why don't you let me deal with him the way he needs to be!"

Julia was looking back and forth between Alonzo and Reilly, her eyes wide, still not over the shock of his presence. By this time the rest of Eden Advance had also seen who it was. Devon was looking at Reilly in horror and clutching Ulysses to herself. Most of them had stood up, ready for trouble. Several guards, noticing some kind of a disturbance near the front, were converging on the area. Captain Harrigan quickly made his way over.

"Is this the man of the Council you were telling me about, my Lord?" Savil whispered. Konran nodded.

The Doctor spoke quickly into Alonzo's ear. "You are in a Gallifreyan court of law and surrounded by a plethora of armed guards. If you want to live a long and happy life with Julia I suggest you put aside any thought you might have of violence, or my trial won't be the only one you'll be attending."

"What's the trouble here?" Captain Harrigan asked.

"No trouble, captain," Romana replied. "We just have a surprise guest, that's all."

"Back off," the Doctor whispered to Alonzo, pulling him back from Reilly. "Now is not the time, I promise you." Reluctantly, Alonzo did as he was asked. He never took his eyes from the Councilman.

"I didn't know my presence here would cause so much concern," Reilly said with a sly, smooth smile. He was dressed in a smart suit and he spoke very pleasantly, very professionally. "Dr. Heller and I used to be acquaintances."

Then he turned to face the Doctor. "You must be the Doctor. I've heard a lot about you."

"And I, you," the Doctor said with a light, humorless smile.

"What are you doing here?" Julia asked.

"He is here at my request," Andred said, appearing behind him. "Parillon went to G889 to call witnesses for the defense. I went to G889 to call a witness for the prosecution. Does this trouble you?"

Devon turned to Romana. Like Reilly, she spoke as professionally as she could. "Madam President," she said, "I protest this man's presence here. He has twice attempted to kidnap my son, and at least once that I know of he attempted to have Dr. Heller killed. He is reported to have committed many other crimes besides this."

Danziger just shook his head. Put people inside a courtroom and suddenly everyone's speech was flowery and technical, he thought. Why couldn't they just keep talking in plain English and say that Reilly needed five minutes locked in a room with Eden Advance and he wouldn't be trouble for anyone again?

"I understand," Romana said and turned to Andred. "Did you have to bring this person here?"

"My lady," Andred answered, "whatever Ms. Adair says, I know of no wrongdoing on the part of Mr. Reilly. He is a representative of the government of Earth and I see no reason to treat him with any kind of hostility, or to tolerate false accusations against him."

"False accusations?" Julia asked indignantly, her eyes wide.

"I understand this also," Romana spoke quickly. "But at least to avoid trouble, I would highly recommend that Mr. Reilly and the colonists be kept separate from each other." She looked pointedly at Reilly. "Wouldn't you agree, sir?"

"Oh, absolutely," he said, holding up one hand. "I wouldn't want to start any trouble." He smiled and returned to his seat.

Romana turned to look at the rest of Eden Advance, motioning for them to take their seats again. Then she told Captain Harrigan, "That will be all, thank you."

"Very good, Madam President," the captain said. He motioned for the guards to return to their duties and he returned to his position, keeping a wary eye on the colonists as he did so.

There was a deep, resonant bong from a great bell somewhere beneath them and the judge entered the vast courtroom from an antechamber. She was dressed in a white robe with a red headpiece. The people in the courtroom rose silently.

The Doctor had a smile on his face. It was the same woman who had presided over his last trial, when the High Council had tried to frame him. She had shown herself to be fair and courteous during that entire ordeal. He hadn't forgotten that.

The judge bowed to Romana, then accepted bows silently in turn from both Parillon and Andred. Then a man in an ornate robe stepped forward from the right and unrolled an old parchment.

They're the most advanced race in the cosmos, Danziger thought, but they still use parchment in ceremonies. And somehow, it doesn't seem out of place.

Reading from the scroll, the man called out, "I call for this hearing of conduct for a Lord of Time to come to session." His voice echoed clearly throughout the vast chamber.

"I answer the call," the judge responded.

"In whose name do you answer?" the man asked.

"I answer in the name of Rassilon, in whose law I swear allegiance and by whose order I live my life."

"May the justice, and the fairness, and the peace, and the law which was laid down by Rassilon, founder of the Lords of Time, savior of our people, hold you to the path. May Rassilon's law help you to see all sides clearly and to execute the duties of your office in the spirit by which we all live."

"All thanks to Rassilon," the entire courtroom chanted once.

The judge sat down and everyone else followed suit. Bess stole a glance at her husband and noticed he was watching the entire proceeding with a very interested look on his face.

"Castellan, bring your charge forward," the judge stated.

Andred stood up. "My lady, I bring charges against the Time Lord known as the Doctor. I charge that he has repeatedly, willfully and knowingly violated Section A of the First Law of Time. I also charge that he willfully and knowingly violated Section B of the First Law of Time."

"Charges so noted," the judge responded. "What say you, defense?"

"My lady," Parillon stood up. "I do not deny either of these charges but I do ask that they be dismissed."

"Grounds for dismissal?" she asked.

"Regarding Section A, my client has a long history of being given special leniency by the High Council," Parillon replied. "The Doctor is known by many as an eccentric, and although he does freely interfere, he does it quite well, and with no harmful intent. He has also done great things in the service of Gallifrey, risking his own life in the defense of this planet on more than one occasion. In addition to that, he has twice held the office of President of the High Council of Time Lords.

"Regarding Section B, I would point out that the Doctor has twice crossed his own time stream with the High Council's blessing, with no ill effects either time. I also refute the Castellan's claim that the violation was 'willful,' as it was purely accidental." He sat back down.

The judge turned back to Andred. "Counter?"

"My lady," he stood up again. "Section A of the First Law of Time clearly states that no interference will be tolerated – period. It mentions nothing about whether or not the intent was for harm or for good. The Doctor knows this quite well, yet he continually flounces this law, our highest, in the face of the High Council. As for the Doctor crossing his own time stream, as the defense knows perfectly well, the two instances he has cited were special emergencies, each earning a presidential pardon. This one was not." He sat down.

"So noted," the judge nodded to both of them. She spoke pleasantly and plainly. "I have given this case special consideration and both of your arguments are valid. I have spent most of the previous two days reviewing the Doctor's history, and it certainly is a colorful one.

"The Doctor has been freely traveling abroad from Gallifrey for many years," she explained. "Although this travel was not approved of in the beginning, it certainly has been approved of since then or else more effort would have been taken to bring the Doctor to trial than what we have seen thus far. His first trial resulted in an exile to 20th-century Earth, later rescinded. His second trial resulted in all charges dropped due to the emergency. Except for those two instances no one has ever been interested in pressing charges against the Doctor. Many successive presidents, including Borusa, Flavia and Romana, have supported the Doctor, either tacitly or openly.

"Therefore, with this history, the only conclusion I can possibly come to is that the Doctor is considered to be an agent of the Time Lords, acting on behalf of our government, even if only in word and not in deed. If the High Council wish to reign him in, or to limit his powers in any way, that is their business. It would only be a matter for a court of law if the Doctor had been given an explicit order to return and then disobeyed that order. Lady President, has the Doctor ever disobeyed any such order?"

"No, your excellency," Romana answered.

"I see no crime in failing to follow an order which was never given," the judge said. "Both counsel will please note that my reasoning is also in accordance with subsection 2 of the First Law of Time, Section A."

Parillon and Andred both nodded.

She turned to face Parillon. "The matter of crossing one's own time stream, however, is different. This is not something that happens every day." She then looked sternly at the Doctor. "At least, one would hope not."

"No, your honor," the Doctor said, looking like a schoolboy whose hand had just been slapped with a ruler.

"I would be very interested in hearing the circumstances surrounding this event. Therefore, I deem the first charge against the Doctor to be dropped. I call for the second charge to be brought fully to bear with the trial set to start tomorrow at cycle two-five, if everyone is in agreement with that schedule." She looked at both Andred and Parillon, who nodded.

"Are there any other opening matters to attend to before we close this hearing?"

Parillon stood up. "I have three matters to bring forth, my lady," he said.

"State them."

"The first concerns the witness for the prosecution, one Mr. Reilly, currently seated immediately behind the Castellan," he said. "The witnesses I have called, seated behind me, claim to have had altercations with this man in the past and there are many hard feelings between them. They lay claim to criminal acts of brutality carried out by Mr. Reilly. I merely bring this to your attention to address in whatever way you see fit."

"So noted, and I thank you, Parillon," the judge said. "Do these altercations of which they speak fall under the auspices of Gallifreyan law?"

"No, my lady. They are all humans from one of Earth's colony worlds."

"Do we have any diplomatic ties with the planet Earth?" the judge asked, looking at Romana. Romana shook her head.

The judge nodded and addressed both sides of the courtroom. "Whatever differences lie between you are not the concerns of this court. I strongly suggest that you make whatever peace you need to, even if it's temporarily, and to stay away from each other. You are our guests here, but if any of you partake in acts of violence or subterfuge while on Gallifreyan soil, you will be dealt with swiftly and severely. Do I make myself clear?"

The members of Eden Advance nodded. So did Reilly.

"Good, thank you. And the second matter?"

"I would like to have my client released on his own recognizance," Parillon said.

"That would be acceptable. And the third matter?"

"The third matter concerns the methods by which the Castellan is conducting this prosecution, which, while legal, is highly unusual. I should like very much to know how he found out about the Doctor's transgression, being that it took place on a metaphysical plane, and how he came into contact with Mr. Reilly."

"Castellan?" the judge asked.

Andred stood up. "I refute that, as I feel I have done nothing unusual in this regard. Mr. Reilly is a witness. The method by which the Doctor's crime became known to the Time Lords, as well as Mr. Reilly's testimony, will be made clear for all to see in due course during the trial." He gave a little smile. "That is, after all, what the trial is for."

"So noted, and I agree," the judge said. "Are there any more concerns?"

Both counselors shook their heads.

"Then I declare this hearing closed." Her gavel swung down and its report echoed throughout the chamber.

 

Everyone within the courtroom got up to leave. Julia took a deep breath and stood up, waiting for Reilly to come meet her in the aisle. Captain Harrigan stood and watched from a distance but made no effort to interfere.

"Just tell me one thing," she said to him. "And for once, make it the truth. What the hell are you?"

"What do you mean?" Reilly asked. Devon, Danziger and Alonzo gathered behind Julia to listen. Around them, Time Lords were leaving the courtroom. Romana and the Doctor came to stand next to them. Andred took one glance at the meeting, turned away with no apparent interest and left. Konran and Savil also left, talking excitedly with each other, with Parillon close behind.

"I mean, the last time we met you, you were a computer," Julia said.

"Oh, that!" he said with a smile. "Eve is the computer, and she's quite a good one. She keeps a backup copy of my personality print to use in case of an emergency. When Eve was malfunctioning the air supply on my station was turned off and I passed out. Since I was incapacitated, Eve called up my file and impersonated me for the sake of expediency. Luckily, you helped her out, and the station's air supply was restored. I found out everything that happened when I regained consciousness.

"Now, I don't know about the rest of you, but being here on Gallifrey is like a vacation for me!" he said. "And I don't want to waste my time discussing business. I've got a lot of sightseeing to do, so if you'll excuse me, I'll be on my way." He smiled pleasantly and sauntered out of the courtroom. The members of Eden Advance could only stare after him, feeling sick, as if their lives had been violated all over again.

"Come on, let's forget about him," the Doctor said. "I doubt he could do us any harm."

"He's not the one I'm worried about, Doctor," Alonzo said. "I'm more worried about who brought him here. And why."

"So am I," the Doctor said, then turned to Romana. "It seems your suspicion about something underhanded was right."

"I wish it wasn't," Romana replied. "Now if you'll excuse me, also, I actually have some real work to do. I am still President, as you know, Doctor, and I can't spend all my time dealing with your troubles." They smiled. "I'll see you tonight. In the meantime, I suggest the rest of you do as Reilly is doing – think of this as a vacation. You're all free to do as you please until tomorrow morning. We have the Arena of Scientific Achievement, the Gallifreyan branch of the Braxiatel Collection, plus lots more. And there are many parks to see and other things to do."

Bess grabbed Morgan's hand. "That all sounds like a wonderful idea!"

"Are there any other kids around?" True asked. "I haven't seen any. What do kids do around here?"

"I'm sorry True, but I'm afraid there aren't any other children for you to play with," Romana said. "Childhood on Gallifrey is different than it is for humans."

"Oh," she said.

Devon saw Uly open his mouth and she instantly knew he was about to ask "Why?" Not wanting to embarrass their hosts, she put a hand on the top of his head and spoke quickly.

"I don't think I'll be joining in on the sight-seeing just yet," she said. "I'd like to talk to Parillon. Something's still worrying me, but I just can't put my finger on it." She turned to Danziger. "Would you mind looking after Uly for a bit?"

"Actually, I wanted to come with you," Danziger said. "I feel the same, like something's weird."

Devon smiled, but secretly wished he hadn't volunteered. What she wanted to talk to Parillon about was actually very specific, and she wanted to talk with him alone.

"Count me in, too," the Doctor said. "I was just headed that way, myself. I was wondering why Parillon left in such a hurry."

"We'll look after the kids," Bess told them. "That's no problem."

True just rolled her eyes.

Morgan sighed.

They all left the courtroom, splitting up to go their different ways. The sun was high in a gorgeous orange sky and their mood was better at the prospect of seeing some of the sights and sounds of Gallifrey's capital city. Parks, museums and entertainment, all part of Time Lord culture, were on their agenda.

As soon as the Doctor stepped outside the building Nesbin appeared in front of him. "You just can't stay out of trouble, can you Doctor?" he asked.

The Doctor's face broke into a smile. "Nesbin, it's good to see you!" he said, and they clasped hands.

"Well, when I heard you were back, and the reasons why, I knew I had to come," Nesbin said. He was a big man, radiating an aura of hard authority. Rodan came up behind him.

"And how are the Shobogans doing these days?" the Doctor asked.

"Not so bad as before," Nesbin answered. "We've got bigger and better crops now, and we've finally found a rotation pattern for game hunting that seems to work. The wisterlin are good eating, but they're tricky to predict, and if we hunt them too hard, the herds move on."

"Well, you can't blame them for that," the Doctor said.

"No," Nesbin said with a laugh. "Leela and Rodan come out to visit every once in a while and bring us news. That's how I knew you were back. Listen," he put an arm around the Doctor and lowered his voice, "you know you'll always have a place of refuge among the Shobogans. If you can get away from all this and make it beyond the wall, you can stay with us as long as you like."

"Thank you," the Doctor said. "But it wouldn't solve the problem."

"Aye," Nesbin said. "I knew you weren't a man to run away, but I had to make the offer. I want you to know that if you need any help, you can count on us."

"I know, and I appreciate it very much," the Doctor said, and they clasped hands again. Nesbin and Rodan left, and the Doctor turned to Devon and Danziger, who had been standing back. "Let's go."

They took a brief stroll to a nearby building made of crystal. Air cars zipped around the skyscrapers high overhead. Neither Devon nor Danziger quite felt comfortable with the idea of taking a transmat device – "You are not splitting my atoms up!" were Devon's exact words – so they used what the Doctor called the "old-fashioned method." They rode up a vertical shaft on a force field to one of the top floors of the building.

The force field, of course, was transparent. The Doctor said it was either that or hike up 60 flights of stairs. Reluctantly, they took the force field lift.

Just don't look down, Devon thought. Just don't...look...down.

They emerged 60 stories up and strolled down a plush corridor to a large office. The door opened when it sensed their presence. Inside, Parillon was slumped over his desk, his eyes wide. His hand was still pressed hard against a parchment, a stylus was in his other hand. In his back was the smoking hole left from a laser blast.

He was quite clearly dead.

Chapter 5 Chapter 7

Back to the The Boy Who Would Be Time Lord King chapter selection page

Back to the Crossover stories list

Back to the Fan Fiction page

Back to my home page