Do You Remember When We Danced and Roared?

Chapter 9

Lisa's first instinct was fight-or-flight, but she remembered they were in a Zentraedi scout ship which had every reason to be there. They were okay for the moment.

The ship's computer connected to the fleet network. Miriya scrolled through the synchro updates.

After a few moments, she said, "We are back in Earth's solar system. The ships around us are all under the command of Azonia, who has been ordered to a reserve position by Breetai. The fleet doesn't really need a reserve position in this situation, so that's just Breetai's way of humiliating Azonia for letting us escape. Breetai's and Khyron's ships are forming the cordon around the SDF-1 two million kilometers away; that's why we can't see the SDF-1 at the moment."

Lisa relaxed a little. "Can we approach the SDF-1 without raising suspicion?"

"We might be able to approach Breetai's battalions. It all depends on how well we can bluff and how gullible the traffic operators will be today. But I will get as close to the SDF-1 as I can."

Miriya ripped the covering off the ship's comm link and pulled out several of its power connectors. Then she piloted the ship towards the SDF-1.

Half a minute later, the first message came in. It contained a lot of static due to the comm link's low power. "Scout ship 14, status," said a female voice in Zentraedi.

Miriya covered her mouth with her hand, deepened her voice just a bit, and replied.

"What did you tell them?" Lisa asked.

"I said we were struck by asteroids and the comm link was damaged. Because of the comm link's low power, they're hearing mostly static at their end, so they'll believe that. I also said our steering was damaged, but that we could cope and did not need assistance."

They flew on in silence, leaving Azonia's battalions behind.

Another message came in from a female. Again, Miriya replied in Zentraedi, then told the others what was going on. "They know this ship belongs to Azonia, so they want to know where we're going. I told them we had been ordered to report directly to Breetai."

"Azonia will know that's a lie, won't she?" Lisa asked.

"Yes, but it will take a while for this situation to filter its way up through the chain of command to reach her ears. By then, we should be beyond her reach."

They neared Breetai's battalions (Miriya absolutely refused even to approach Khyron's battalions). A third message came in. This time, it was from a male. Miriya responded.

"I told them the same thing, that we're to report to Breetai personally," Miriya said. "But this is obviously a Quadrano scout ship, which makes this very unusual. I'm not sure how long they're going to buy it."

They flew on. They could now see the distant speck which was the SDF-1.

Lisa's heart lurched. Home. It was agonizingly close!

Another message came in, and Miriya again responded in Zentraedi. As subtly as she could, she edged the ship's speed up a notch.

They were almost through the cordon when the nearest battleship launched a squadron of pods.

"Bluff's over," Miriya said, kicking the ship's speed to maximum. "The pods will have orders to capture us only, but I have no faith they can follow those orders. Hang on!"

The pods swooped down onto the scout ship, and Miriya dipped and swerved. Everyone on the trolley lay flat and held hands.

Energy bursts struck the ship. Sparks flew inside the cabin.

"We're not gonna make it," Miriya announced grimly. "Plan B."

The pods encircled them and fired repeatedly, trying to damage the engine without destroying the scout ship.

Which suddenly exploded.

And three veritech fighters shot out from within the exploding fireball, heading for the SDF-1.

By the time the pod pilots realized what had happened, the veritechs had a good seven-second start. They pursued. Even though the veritechs were faster, the pods were still well within range, and would be for quite a while.

Max, Miriya, and Rick dodged all enemy fire. Kim sat in the rear seat of Miriya's fighter, holding Azonia's data storage unit; Sammie and Vanessa occupied the rear seat of Max's fighter; and Lisa and Minmei shared the rear seat of Skull One.

"SDF-1!" Rick called. "This is Lieutenants Hunter, Sterling, and Sterling, along with Commander Hayes, the bridge crew, and Minmei! We are escaping Zentraedi captivity and require assistance!"

"Roger," Alice said, and it was one of the sweetest sounds Rick had ever heard. Then Alice said, "Captain Gloval says to duck."

The three pilots shoved their joysticks forward, plunging their veritechs down at almost 90-degree angles.

And the energy stream from the SDF-1's main gun blasted right through the space they'd been in moments earlier, and through the attacking pods.

"Yeah!" Max cried.

"Way to go, SDF-1!" Kim shouted.

"Woohoo!" Rick screamed.

The Zentraedi attempted no more pursuit.

The veritechs headed home.

 

Captain Gloval didn't even wait for Dr. Fredericks and his staff to finish checking them over. He went straight to the hospital to see them immediately.

"You have no idea how good it is to see you all," Captain Gloval said. His face was tight; the proud captain was holding back tears.

"Actually, we do," Lisa said. "Because it's equally good to see you."

Captain Gloval stopped short of hugging his first officer, but they were all treated to the rare display of him taking hold of her hands. His own hands were shaking. He looked her in the eye. Lisa started to weep.

"I am so happy you are back," was all he could say.

Lisa nodded.

Captain Gloval let go of her hands and straightened up. "I am so happy you are all back." He eyed the Terrible Trio as well, and failed to conceal the look of fatherly love in his eyes. They were grinning at him, and weeping, also.

Oh, for the love of everything, hug them, you old fuddy-duddy! Rick thought. But he knew Captain Gloval never would.

"Lieutenants," Captain Gloval said, addressing Rick, Max, and Miriya. "Exceptional does not even begin to describe what you have done. All of you shall receive our highest commendations. Our highest."

"We're just glad to be back, sir," Rick said.

"And I am so happy to see that you are safe and sound, as well, Miss Minmei," Captain Gloval said.

"The army brought me home," Minmei said. "You should be so proud of them!"

"I am, Miss Minmei. I am. Commander Hayes, I expect a report from you within 48 hours."

"Yes, sir. But I warn you, you'll need to brace yourself."

"After the miracle of seeing you all alive and well again, I doubt there will be anything in your report which could possibly shock me."

"Wanna bet?" Sammie asked.

 

With a smile on his face, Vance Hasselwood entered the studio building. His little songbird was back, rescued from captivity! His golden goose. His moneymaker. His gravy train.

He strode into Minmei's office and found it empty. He sighed.

He saw the envelope. It had been placed carefully in the center of the otherwise-clear desk. He moved closer, and saw his name on it.

He opened it and pulled out two sheets of paper. The first was a letter; the second contained lyrics.

 

Vance,

Here are the lyrics to the new song. We'll begin recording tomorrow afternoon. In the meantime, I'm going out with friends. And no, I'm not telling you where, you old fussbucket.

I realize this means the new album won't be finished in time. But that's life. And life isn't about deadlines, it's about dancing. The fans will understand. I know they will, because they also know life is about dancing. And if they don't know this, they soon will, because my songs will tell them.

See you tomorrow,

Minmei

 

Vance sat at Minmei's desk, put his chin in his hands, and harrumphed.

Then, despite himself, he smiled. Just a little bit.

 

In the mirror, Minmei admired the silver wig which hung straight down on all sides and which gave her the most outrageous bangs. "What's my name again?"

"Rebecca Forstadt," Sammie said. "If anyone asks, you do animation voice acting. It's close enough to your real job that you'll be able to speak the lingo, but far enough away that no one will suspect who you really are."

Vanessa handed Minmei a huge tacky pair of pink glasses in the shape of stars.

"And people really wear this stuff to the disco?" Minmei asked.

"Oh, this is tame compared to some of the things you'll see there," Vanessa said.

"Awesome!" Minmei said, and slid the glasses on. "Are we all ready?"

"We're ready!" Kim squealed.

"Let's dance!" Sammie roared.

Chapter 8

Submit feedback

Back to the "Do You Remember When We Danced and Roared?" chapter selection page

Back to the "Robotech" stories list

Back to the Fan Fiction page

Back to my home page