Do You Remember When We Danced and Roared?

Chapter 3

Rick grimaced as Lisa gently removed his helmet. "How do you feel?" she asked.

"Like an elephant's tap-dancing on my head."

"Normal, then," Lisa said.

"Very funny." Rick groggily looked around and found Minmei kneeling next to him, looking concerned.

"Well, hi there," he said.

"Hi, yourself."

Rick saw that he, Lisa, Kim, Vanessa, Sammie, Minmei, and Max were on a trolley being pushed by giant Zentraedi. More Zentraedi accompanied them. All were female.

Rick groaned. "Oh...not again!"

"Yes, Lieutenant, I'm afraid so," Lisa said.

"And this time, I can't rescue you," Max said.

Rick tried to stand, but both Lisa and Minmei gently pushed him back down.

"Don't, Rick," Lisa said. "That's an order. There's nothing you can do at the moment, anyway. You will do us the most good by resting every moment you can."

"I'll rest until we reach our destination, Lisa. But when we confront the Zentraedi, I'll do so standing up."

"Yes," Lisa said softly. "I understand."

Max took off his uniform top, revealing an undershirt. He wadded his uniform up so Rick could have a pillow. Rick nodded his thanks.

"Where's-" Rick began to ask.

"Where are they taking us?" Lisa quickly cut him off, anticipating his question. "I have no idea, Lieutenant."

Lisa caught Rick's eye and gave the tiniest shake of her head. Rick instantly understood. Don't mention Miriya. He had almost asked, "Where's Miriya?" and Lisa had stopped him just in time.

They saw a platoon jog past, going in the opposite direction, armed with rifles. They looked like they meant business.

The captives all looked at each other without saying a word, each thinking the same thing: Evidently, they haven't found Miriya yet.

Their captors parked the trolley in a storage room. Two Zentraedi stood guard.

"Wonder what the wait is for," Vanessa murmured.

"That's a good question," Lisa murmured back.

"I have to pee," Sammie said.

They all glared at her.

"Right," she said, sulking. "I'll shut up now."

After that, no one spoke. Rick was grateful for the delay. He concentrated on relaxing his muscles and letting the pounding in his head die down.

After about 45 minutes, more Zentraedi came to get them and the trip resumed. The captives endured it in silence. They glumly watched the featureless corridor roll past.

Five minutes later, they stopped at a door which slid open, and the trolley was wheeled into a room. Waiting for them were Zentraedi of both genders. Lisa recognized Kester and some of his men, who had returned to their normal size. Some of the women wore what they knew by now were officers' uniforms.

Rick quickly stood, and Max put his uniform back on.

"That's what the delay was," Lisa murmured to Vanessa. "They were restoring our captors to giant size."

The trolley came to a halt in front of the Zentraedi officers.

"Greetings, Micronians," one of them said. "I am Commander Azonia, and you are my prisoners."

She addressed Kester in her own language. "Seven! I had hoped for two. You've done very well, Kester!"

Kester saluted. "You do me honor, Commander."

"What value do they have?" Azonia asked.

"The female with orange hair is second-in-command of the battle fortress," Kester said. "Her name is Commander Lisa Hayes. The other three females in uniform are of low rank, but work closely with Commander Hayes. The two males are merely fighter pilots, although their skill in battle is commendable. The remaining female is the source of their psychological assault."

"Oh," Azonia said, looking intriguingly at Minmei. The other officers looked at Minmei as if she might magically bite them at any moment.

Kester said, "I warn you, Commander – she's more dangerous than she looks. Her wits are quick and she can deceive. She almost prevented me from completing my mission."

"Did she, now?" Azonia asked. "Well, then, I shall certainly take great care with her." She looked over the other captives, and peered intently at Max. "Wait just one moment," she breathed.

She leaned down and took a good, long look at Max. He returned her gaze evenly.

"I recognize this one!" Azonia whispered. "This is the Micronian mate of Miriya!" She stared at Max in awe. "Oh, happy and glorious day that I could strike back at Miriya by destroying her mate!" She reared her head back and laughed.

None of the humans spoke Zentraedi, but they had heard the word Miriya, and it didn't take a rocket scientist to figure out why Azonia was suddenly so giddy. Max was impassive. He refused to give Azonia the slightest bit of satisfaction.

"I am pleased you are so happy with the prisoners," Kester said. "Permission to return to my battalion."

Azonia grinned at him. "Granted, and give my compliments to Lord Khyron. May you win every battle."

"And you, Commander." Kester saluted and walked away. His remaining men fell in line behind him.

Although Lisa hadn't understood their conversation, it was clear Kester had been dismissed and probably wasn't coming back. "Wait!" she cried. "You gave me your word as an officer that we would not be harmed! Does Commander Azonia know of your promise, and will she honor it?"

Kester turned to look at her. "My promise was valid for the time you were in my custody. I have honored my promise. Whether Commander Azonia will offer you the same protection, I cannot say."

"That's not good enough!" Lisa shouted.

"What about the promise you made to me?" Minmei asked. "You said I would be returned safely once you were through with me!"

Azonia looked at Kester in surprise. "Did you really tell the poor girl we would send her back?"

"I did," Kester said, and looked at Minmei. "I respect all worthy opponents, and I would never lie to one. Anyone who faces me in battle is due all honor. But you are merely a civilian. You do not face opponents in battle honorably; you hide yourself away and use psychological assaults, like a sorceress. You are due no honor whatsoever. I have no problem lying to an individual such as yourself."

Max gave a contemptuous snort and shook his head. Sammie's mouth dropped open and she stared at Kester in shock.

"I do not launch psychological assaults!" Minmei screeched. "I just sing to make myself feel better! If you Zentraedi are affected by that, that's not my fault! So, yes, as a matter of fact, you do owe me honor!"

Kester shook his head, baffled. "Everyone serves the battle in some capacity, and we know yours."

He and his men walked away.

"Come back here!" Lisa ordered, to no avail.

Azonia smiled, thoroughly amused by Lisa's strong spirit.

Sammie fumed. Kim recognized the signs and put a hand on her shoulder.

Minmei was dumbstruck. "What...what did I do?" she asked, close to tears.

"You didn't do anything wrong, Minmei," Vanessa said. "Kester is just like most Zentraedi. He can't comprehend anything which doesn't serve a military function."

"That's right," Max said. "Telling him you sing to make yourself feel better is like telling a mathematician two plus two equals purple. It's just gobbledegook to them."

"Enough!" Azonia ordered. "The interrogation will now begin!"

Sammie looked like she was about to shout at Azonia, but Kim squeezed her shoulder. Sammie shook her off and took a few steps forward, but Lisa beat her to it.

"The hell it will!" Lisa thundered. "I will submit neither myself nor anyone under my command to your questions!"

Rick had never seen Lisa so angry. He tensed for a fight.

"Does that include the non-combatant?" Azonia asked mockingly. "The...what do you call them...civilian?"

"Commander Hayes knows what's going on a lot more than I do!" Minmei snapped. "As long as I'm here, I'll answer to her exactly as if I were in the military! So she speaks for me, too!"

Minmei turned to Lisa. "I mean it, Commander. I'll do whatever you tell me to."

"Thanks, Minmei."

"You Micronians baffle me," Azonia said. "In some ways, you are intelligent, and in others, you're about as dumb as rocks. Do you truly not comprehend that you are prisoners and that I am in charge?"

"And do you truly not comprehend that you can get down on your knees and kiss my ass?!" Sammie roared.

Kim, Vanessa, Lisa, Max, Rick, and Minmei all stared at Sammie with faces which clearly said, Oh, shit.

But the power had been unleashed.

Lisa started to tell her to be quiet, but Vanessa put a hand on Lisa's arm. "It's too late, Commander. She's rolling."

Ensign Sammie Porter, all five-foot-one-inch of her, glared up at Commander Azonia. "Do any of you monsters have a brain more powerful than a light bulb?" Sammie screamed. "Do any of you have jackasses have the slightest concept of living in peace and not murdering innocent people?"

"Does she often do this?" Minmei whispered.

"Usually only when she's drunk," Kim whispered back.

"How freaking stupid do you have to be to call a song a psychological assault?" Sammie raged. "If you tried listening to one for once in your life you'd see what hollow monsters you are! You'd actually let a ray of sunshine into that corpse you call a soul! But you can't be bothered to do that because you've got the combined brain power of a slug and the compassion of a lump of cold lead! My friends and I can run rings around you, and we're only ensigns!"

"Lieutenant junior grade," Vanessa said calmly.

"Whatever!" Sammie screeched.

Sammie stood there, glaring up at Azonia, her face red, panting like she'd just run a marathon. Every Zentraedi in the room stared at her with eyes as wide as saucers, stunned into silence.

"Dammit," Kim muttered. "We should have just let her pee."

Max said to Rick, "Wellllllll, skipper, it was nice knowing you."

"Oh," Azonia finally said, staring at Sammie with fascination. "I owe you my thanks, Micronian. We haven't had this much entertainment in years!" She smiled. "Breaking you is going to be a treat!"

"Bring it on!" Sammie screamed.

"Oh!" Vanessa gasped, executing a perfect facepalm.

"Ensign Porter, that is enough," Lisa said firmly, yet gently. She could strangle the woman for what she had just done. She could also pin a medal on her.

"Come on," Kim said, putting her arm around Sammie. "We're probably going to die in a few minutes, so let's not spiral."

"No, you brave little warriors, you're not going to die yet," Azonia said. "But whether you do or not is for you to-"

The Zentraedi all looked up as the alarm sounded and the door opened. Then they looked at each other in shock for a second, then bolted from the room in a blind panic, jabbering at each other in their own language, leaving their captives completely unguarded.

Sammie pumped her fist after them. "And don't you forget it!" she roared triumphantly.

Chapter 2 Chapter 4

Back to the "Do You Remember When We Danced and Roared?" chapter selection page

Back to the "Robotech" stories list

Back to the Fan Fiction page

Back to my home page