The Doctor Who Fell to Earth (Two)

Chapter 4

The Doctor and Hanson slowly picked their way through the bridge.

"Only the rear half of the room has taken any real damage," Hanson said, shining a lumalight around at the wreckage. "The forward half, with all the flight systems and life support, is mostly all right. I don't understand. If someone was trying to destroy the bridge, they did a pretty poor job of it."

"They weren't trying to destroy the bridge," the Doctor replied. "They did exactly what they wanted to do."

"What do you mean?"

"The saboteur knew that the log might be checked." The Doctor pointed at the center of the blast, where a computer console had been. "And I'll take 100 to one odds that the ship's log was contained in that computer."

Hanson nodded. "You're right. But why not just tamper with the logs, or wipe the entire memory electronically?"

"I don't know." The Doctor wiped his hands on his scarf, looking around the bridge. "Maybe they didn't have time. But this almost certainly proves my theory, that the saboteur got out of his or her cold sleep chamber sometime during the voyage."

"We should have realized that, you know," Hanson said bitterly. "It just occurred to me – earlier, you told us that you and Romana walked to the bridge when you first arrived. When you say 'walked,' you mean the gravity was on, don't you?"

"Yes. Why?"

Hanson pursed his lips. "Gravity is always turned off for the duration of the voyage to save power. It only comes back on when the crew is revived."

"That doesn't mean anything," the Doctor said. "Although I agree the saboteur turned on the gravity to move about the ship more easily, a stowaway or a pirate would have done the same thing. That fact all by itself doesn't mean the saboteur was one of the crew – although I still think that's the case."

"All right. But what about Tom? Why was he murdered?"

"Well, he was the pilot," the Doctor said. "The bridge is his station. Maybe Tom was already here, or maybe he walked in and caught the saboteur in the act. Either way, the saboteur was in a hurry, and Tom had to be eliminated."

He looked at Hanson. "Lets see how Vasquez is doing, shall we?"

 

Vasquez thoughtfully studied the blood sample on his monitor, then glanced up at the Doctor and Hanson as they came in.

"Well?" the Doctor asked.

Vasquez looked through a window to where Sheila was lying in a bed, tubes strapped to her arm. "She'll live."

The Doctor peered through at her. "'She'll live.' Two simple words. She'll live because you did your job, and you did it well. Good work, Dr. Vasquez."

Vasquez smiled. Somehow, he felt that a compliment from someone like the Doctor was a compliment indeed.

"What about Romana?" the Doctor asked.

"Take a look." He motioned through another window. Romana was laid out in a bed, still unconscious. K9 was waiting dutifully beside her.

Vasquez turned back to the display on his monitor. "I don't know what race the two of you are, Doctor, but this is unlike any blood sample I've ever seen. Romana has two hearts, an absolutely amazing double-respiratory/cardiovascular system, with a more compact bone structure and muscle tissue, probably to better endure extreme temperatures and shocks to her system. Whatever species you are," Vasquez turned to him, "you're designed to take a lot of punishment."

"Well," the Doctor said, "we do live an awfully long time."

"Yes, well, I had no idea what chemicals are harmful or helpful to your species, so I didn't do anything to Romana. Maybe you know what to do?"

"Yes. Let her rest. She's probably instructing her body to heal even as we speak."

"Really? But she's unconscious."

"Well, if you want to talk to your own body, being unconscious is the easiest way to do it. I don't suppose you also took a sample of her DNA?"

"Of course. Standard procedure."

The Doctor coughed delicately and leaned in close. "I'm going to ask you to destroy it."

"What, Romana's DNA sample?"

"Yes. Reasons of racial privacy. Please don't ask me to explain."

The Doctor and Vasquez stared at each other for a second. Vasquez finally nodded. "Consider it done."

"Good." The Doctor stood up suddenly. "Thank you."

"Dr. Vasquez, how long until Sheila can return to duty?" Hanson asked.

Vasquez looked at him in surprise. "Duty? She won't even be able to stand for another week, much less pilot a ship anywhere."

Hanson looked between the two men in alarm. "Well, with Tom dead and Sheila injured – who's going to fly the ship?"

"Well, I have some experience at piloting spaceships," the Doctor smiled.

"Doctor," Hanson said, "I think it takes two people to pilot this vessel."

The Doctor's face fell. "Oh." He looked through the window. "Then I'd better check up on Romana."

The Doctor pushed open the door and knelt by Romana's bed. "Hello, K9," he said with a smile. "Have you been behaving yourself?"

"Affirmative."

"What have you been doing?" The Doctor leaned closer to the bed, examining Romana.

"Master – I have been helping the medical staff monitor the life signs of the Syndrome children."

"Good, good. Listen – I want you to keep a watch on the door. Don't let anyone come in. But don't look like you're keeping a watch on the door."

"Master?"

"I need a few moments with Romana without being disturbed."

"Affirmative."

The Doctor gently held Romana's head in one hand, with his thumb on one temple and his middle finger on the other, and closed his eyes.

Hanson and Dr. Vasquez watched through the window.

"What do you think he's doing?" Hanson asked.

Dr. Vasquez didn't answer, but looked on thoughtfully.

The Doctor remained perfectly still, his face grave. After a few moments, he finally stirred, seeming to breathe more deeply. He took his hand away from Romana's brow. He sighed, and patted her very gently on the arm.

The Doctor looked at K9, then leaned down and whispered, "Stay by her side. She's vulnerable like this, and if someone doesn't want to reach the planet, Romana may seem like an easy target."

"Affirmative, master. The mistress will not come to harm."

"Good boy." He patted him on the head, then stood up and rejoined Hanson and Dr. Vasquez.

"Well?" Vasquez asked.

"It will be some time before Romana's conscious," the Doctor said. "I was barely able to reach her mind at all. I don't think she's even aware we made contact. She was hit harder than we thought."

"So we have a long wait before dropping the colonists off," Hanson sighed.

The Doctor just stared between them at the far wall. He still appeared deeply troubled about something. Suddenly he said, "No. We need to get these colonists to G889 as quickly as possible. Hanson, I need you to do something for me – I want you to go back to the bridge and contact the advance colonists. I need to speak with them. I'm going to get some special medical equipment of my own and try to help Romana, then I'll join you there."

The Doctor was out of the room and striding purposefully down the hall before either of the men could reply.

 

It felt exactly like riding a roller coaster.

It was fun, frightening, and exhilarating all at the same time. Barbara felt like she wanted to shriek and throw her hands up over her head.

But she dared not open her mouth. She kept her body tightly squeezed up, trying to shut out the fear, feeling as if she might burst at any moment.

Then she was standing again, breathing air, looking around at yet another cavern. The Terrian who had been carrying her unwrapped his arms from around her chest and stepped back. Around her, Clebadee, Ian, Susan and the Doctor emerged from the ground. Each of them was also being held tightly by another Terrian.

Ian stretched out his arms and wobbled slightly, then shook his head and looked at his hands in wonder. The Doctor's eyes were wide, and he breathed out slowly. Barbara could tell he was trying not to look impressed, but she knew he was.

Susan was grinning from ear to ear. "Fabulous!" she cried.

Clebadee's eyes were closed and his mouth hanging open, as if he was in ecstasy.

Two of the new Terrians who had rescued them approached him, while many others were standing silently around them. They seemed to walk and move differently than the Terrians they'd just left. They walked slowly, and their heads slowly tilted from side to side.

"Beautiful," she heard Clebadee whisper. "So beautiful!"

The two Terrians made peculiar, soft gurgling sounds, but Barbara could not tell what they were saying, although it seemed as if they were talking to Clebadee.

This didn't make any sense. According to the Doctor, he shared a telepathic gift with all those who traveled with him, which insured that they would never have a problem with the language barrier.

The Doctor looked equally confused. "Can you understand them, Clebadee?" he asked.

Clebadee slowly opened his eyes and nodded. He somehow seemed a little older and wiser than he had been a few moments before – as if his horizons had suddenly expanded, and he could never go back to being a naive youth.

"Yes, Doctor," he said. "These are the ones I have been flying with. These are the Terrians who were calling to me in my dreams." He looked around him in wonder. "And they say that the Dreaming is not a disease at all, but one of the greatest steps forward that our entire race has ever taken!"

"Really?" The Doctor stepped forward inquisitively. "How did you understand their peculiar language?"

"I- I do not know," Clebadee said. "It is as if I can understand what they are trying to say. The meaning is not in the words or the sounds they make. Yet, somehow, I still understand them."

"Hmmm." The Doctor stroked his chin thoughtfully. "Astounding!" he spoke to himself. "A race that is beginning to communicate on an entirely empathic level, even in dreams, and has the ability to travel through the very earth itself. Oh, my dear Chesterton, do you know what this means?"

Ian just smiled and shook his head. "No, I don't."

In a burst of inspiration, Susan blurted out, "It means the planet is coming alive, doesn't it grandfather?"

"It certainly looks that way, child! Well done! Yes, indeed, it most certainly looks that way!" The Doctor grinned at their new hosts, then bowed solemnly. "If you can understand me, I thank you for saving our lives."

The Terrians nodded their heads. It seemed to Barbara that each and every move they made had the dignity and grace of a ballet dancer. They trilled and gurgled some more. Clebadee translated.

"They say that they really came for me. But they also sensed open minds, intelligence, friendliness, compassion and great wisdom in all four of you. They wanted to speak with you."

"Well, I should be very delighted to speak with them!" the Doctor replied.

With Clebadee translating, the four travelers learned from their rescuers about the situation on the planet.

It had all started several years ago, when some Terrians, apparently at random, began dreaming together. It was assumed to be a disease, although all the Terrians who were able to enter the Dreaming said it was a wonderful experience.

Most tribes, like Clebadee's, were frightened, and cast out or killed anyone who was caught dreaming. But some of the outcasts had formed their own tribes, and much had been learned. Embracing the change, they had experienced heightened sensations and feelings, and were able to communicate with each other through a shared rapport, or group mind. It was as if they all felt connected, and this connection was something they had been yearning for all their lives, even though they had never realized it.

Then they discovered they could actually travel through the earth, in much the same way that they could travel the web paths which stretched over the planet.

"Web paths?" Barbara asked.

"Yes," Clebadee answered. "Do you not know of them? They are paths to far-away places, through the webs the spiders make."

"Fascinating," the Doctor mused, rubbing his chin thoughtfully.

Translating further, Clebadee explained that they did not know what to make of the changes, or where these new powers were coming from. But they were certain it was not a disease.

"No one knows why the Dreaming forces itself on some Terrians, but not others," Clebadee explained. "Some believe that the changes happen to those who are already in touch with themselves and with the world around them, and that one day, all Terrians will be of the Dreaming."

"I have no doubt of it," the Doctor replied.

"Do you know what is happening, Doctor?" Clebadee asked.

"Yes. Yes, I believe I do," he said. "I believe that every living thing on this planet, from the tiniest bacteria, to the flowers and the grass and the trees, to the birds in the sky, to the Terrian people themselves, are beginning to come together into one group consciousness. The natural interconnectedness of all life on this planet has reached a whole new level!"

"You mean – they'll all have a group mind?" Ian asked. "No individuality?" Somehow the thought did not seem as appealing to him as it did to the Doctor.

"No no no, my dear Chesterton, of course they will. Each being will continue to act as an individual. They will continue to have a sense of identity and self, if my theory is correct. However, they will also have a sense of the whole around them – a sense of the bigger picture, if you will – and will be able to make decisions and act accordingly. It's fascinating! Absolutely fascinating!"

"And this life force will envelope the whole planet?" Barbara asked.

"Not just envelope it, Barbara. It is the planet! From the magma core thousands of miles below us to the clouds in the upper atmosphere, a new life is beginning to evolve!"

"You mean...our world is alive, and we are a part of it?" Clebadee asked, not fully understanding the Doctor's strange words.

"Well, in a sense, that's always been the case," the Doctor said. "Only now it's alive in a whole new way – and consequently, so are you! This planet has become a single life, in and of itself! You and I, and everyone else here, are standing on a newborn world!"

Chapter 3 Chapter 5

Back to the "The Doctor Who Fell to Earth (Two)" chapter selection page

Back to the Crossover stories list

Back to the Fan Fiction page

Back to my home page