The Boy Who Would Be Time Lord King

Chapter 8

"It's beautiful, Doctor!"

He and Devon were standing in a large corridor within the Presidential Palace. The corridor had no overhead lighting. But then, it didn't need any. The entire length of each wall was nothing but a huge window, from floor to ceiling, looking out onto a maelstrom of energy and kaleidoscopic color which twisted their eyes inside out. Devon found she couldn't look at the swirling mass properly. It defied any attempt at viewing, sliding away and towards her at the same time in colors she had no name for.

It was the time vortex.

"Where are we?" Devon asked.

"This is just a little place we affectionately call the Hall of Time," the Doctor said. "It allows us to look out into the vortex. It serves as a reminder of where we came from, and what our duties are."

"How is it maintained?" Devon asked. "I mean, the time vortex isn't a physical place you can look out on, like a view from a window, is it?"

The Doctor actually chuckled at that and rapped his knuckles on the surface before them. "This is just a strengthened form of glass, enough to keep the time vortex at bay in case anything goes wrong. Over there," he pointed to a control panel by the door, "is the machinery which is actually showing us the vortex. It opens a huge portal, splitting wide the three-dimensional boundaries around us, allowing us access to the vortex. Through this portal, we can see it, or we can enter it unprotected if we were stupid enough to do so, or we could even allow the vortex to come flooding into our space-time curvature, if we were really stupid."

"Why did you bring me here?" she asked.

"Devon, just a few minutes ago, you asked me who set the Gallifreyans up as the cosmic protectors of time. You asked if perhaps we have a charter from God. The only answer I can give you is that we may very well have.

"Time is a difficult concept to explain without relative terms. It happens, and it is contained, out there in the vortex."

"Is this fourth-dimensional space?" Devon asked, entranced.

"No. Hyperspace is the fourth dimension, a place hidden behind the quantum layer of three-dimensional space. Dig deep enough beyond the atomic structure and you'll find it. The time vortex is fifth-dimensional space. One layer below even hyperspace.

"And there is life out there, Devon. Life can take many different forms in this wonderful universe of ours, and it isn't constrained to any particular dimension. Life begins on planets, in the deep wastes of intergalactic space, and even inside stars. And the time vortex can produce life. There are creatures who live in the vortex, like the Chronovores, extra-dimensional beings so advanced that they defy the imagination. I've had the privilege of meeting a few of them at times, but they hardly ever deign to speak to lower-dimensional beings such as you and me. Our lives are microscopic compared to theirs, and they don't experience time in the same way that we do.

"But very, very rarely, a race in three-dimensional space develops a genetic link with the time vortex, giving that race an evolutionary advantage. We Gallifreyans are one such species, and we call our link the Rassilon Imprimature. There's a strand of DNA in my body, and within every other Time Lord's body, that is in tune to the time vortex. We Gallifreyans, Devon, are linked to the very fabric of time. That's why we call ourselves 'Time Lords.'"

Devon was silent for a minute, then said, "The Terrians also have this link."

"Yes, they do," the Doctor answered.

"How did that happen?" Devon asked.

"For the Terrians, I haven't a clue. For ourselves, we're not entirely sure, but we think that there was vortex spillage into three-dimensional space when the universe was very young, around the area of Gallifrey. This spillage may have accelerated our evolution. So not only were we the first species out of the gate, we became time-sensitive, as well. The Rassilon Imprimature is what provides us with a symbiotic relationship to a TARDIS. Without a symbiotic link into the vortex, or without a machine which has been primed with such a link, time travel for any living creature is impossible.

"Time has a natural ebb and flow, just like everything else. A being who is time-sensitive can sense that movement and learn to feel what's right and what's not right, in the same way that you can feel the wind on your face. The Terrians must have a link into the vortex, as well, in order for them to travel in time. The dream plane of G889 partially exists within the time vortex."

Devon said, "Since the Terrians changed Ulysses, he seems to know things he shouldn't know but he can't explain how. Like when he found the biodome during our first winter. He knew Mary lived there before he'd even met her. The Terrians also seem to know things. Is my son a time-sensitive, now, too?"

"Yes," the Doctor said with a smile. "It's an incredible gift. It's a very powerful thing, and many people have tried to exploit it. Reilly isn't the first who has tried to harness its power."

"Is that why you asked Dr. Vasquez to destroy Romana's DNA sample?" Devon asked. "Because you didn't want him analyzing Time Lord DNA and finding out about the Rassilon Imprimature?"

"Him, or anyone else," the Doctor said. "Come on. It's time we joined the others."

Devon took one last look behind her as they left the Hall of Time. They made their way back to her room in the east wing.

The first thing they saw when they stepped out of the lift was a Citadel Guard flattened against the corridor wall outside the Martins' room, and the first thing they heard was the sound of Leela threatening to kill someone.

"You will retract that accusation, or I will rip out your lying tongue and wrap it around your neck!" she was shouting.

Before Devon could utter a word, the Doctor was halfway down the hall.

"Let's hold off on the tongue-twisting," Danziger said, trying to calm Leela down and get her to put her knife back into its boot sheath. Both of the Citadel Guards had their hands on their stasers, although they weren't drawn. Neither of them was looking forward to explaining to their boss how they had to arrest his wife.

"Yes, Leela," the Doctor said, appearing behind the guards with a smile. "I know I can't stop you from killing in self-defense, but words hardly qualify, do they?"

Leela still brandished her knife. "Doctor, these vermin have soiled your name! Say the word and I will make them do you honor!"

"How about we try making friends with them, instead?" the Doctor asked as Devon ran up behind him. He offered a bag of candy to the guards. "Here. Have a jelly baby."

The guard nearest the door never took his eyes off Leela or his hand from his staser, but the other looked suspiciously inside the bag and hesitantly pulled out one of the sweets. He popped it in his mouth and evidently thought it was pretty good. He took a few more.

"Now, why don't you put the knife away, Leela, while I hear exactly how it is my name has been sullied," the Doctor suggested.

The first guard was still looking with disdain at Leela. "I always knew it was trouble for Andred to marry an off-worlder. I tried to talk him out of it. I think he's finally come to his senses lately."

The second guard, happily chewing on a jelly baby, slowed his chewing and looked awkwardly at the Doctor.

The Doctor, still out in the hallway, neatly stepped between the guards and planted himself firmly three inches from the face of the one who spoke. "As I said, why don't you state your business," he said coldly.

"My business, Doctor, is to question you further regarding the murder of Parillon."

"They think we did it," Danziger said.

"How could they?" Devon asked. "We cleared that up with Andred personally at the scene of the crime. Why don't you go check with him?"

"Andred's trying to cover all his bases," the Doctor said, still looking at the guard. "He's got to investigate every angle to satisfy any critics. And we have a lot of those, don't we?"

The guard simply returned his stare.

"Why don't you go back and tell the Castellan that we are busy, and we don't have time for these games," the Doctor whispered. "If he wants to question us, he can come do it himself."

"Sir," the guard said, half-mockingly. He motioned for his companion to follow him and walked away. The second guard meekly smiled a thanks at the Doctor before he left also. When the guards reached the lift, they saluted smartly as Romana stepped out, and they let her pass. K9 was with her.

"Well, Doctor," Devon said. "Danziger was right. You and trouble are conjoined twins."

"Must have been the sign I was born under," the Doctor said.

Romana joined them. "What did I miss?" she asked.

"Nothing much," the Doctor said. "Murder. Mystery. Intrigue."

"Oh," Romana sighed. "The usual."

 

In the Martins' suite, the others all listened as Devon and Danziger related how they had discovered the body of Parillon.

The Doctor remained silent, letting them speak. He had simply sat down at the computer terminal, glancing at the screen as he did so. A little smirk had crossed his face when he'd seen what the last information request had been. He had turned to smile at Morgan, who had just shrugged his shoulders lamely from across the room. The Doctor had just shaken his head and turned off the computer. No one else noticed the exchange.

The Doctor spent the next few minutes watching the chess match between Zero and K9 with rapt attention. Machine vs. machine. He wondered who would win.

"Are we in danger?" was the first question asked when Devon and Danziger were finished. Bess was the one who voiced this concern, but they were all thinking it.

"Doubtful," the Doctor spoke at last. "I'm the target here. Although someone wants me very badly, no one else seems to be in danger, unless you happen to be in the way."

"Was Parillon in the way?" Alonzo asked.

"Must have been," the Doctor answered. "At the moment I can't think of any other motive for his murder, although the exact reason still mystifies me."

"Well, as your friends, we could be considered to be in the way simply by association," Yale said. "We are scheduled to testify on your behalf. If Parillon was killed simply because he was your defender, what about us?"

"My instinct says you will be safe," the Doctor said. "I have nothing more to give you though, and your logic is sound, Yale. Certainly, if any of you wish to return to G889 immediately, you are free to do so and I would not hold it against you in the slightest."

The members of Eden Advance looked at each other uncomfortably. Leaving when there was a murderer on the loose certainly made sense. But the feeling that instantly permeated the room was that it would be a terrible thing to do. An act of cowardice.

"My concern really is for the children," Devon spoke up. "I don't want them to be in danger."

"Why does everyone have to be so protective of us all the time?" True asked, startling everyone. "You treat us like we're fragile or something."

"We treat you like the most important things in our lives," Danziger said. "What's wrong with that, sport?"

"Well, it's not like we haven't been in danger before," True said. "Uly and I know how to take care of ourselves by now. Don't we?" she asked him.

Ulysses, munching on a chocolate-covered donut, said, "Uh..." chomp, chomp, "sure."

"Oh, yeah?" Danziger asked. "What if someone who was a lot bigger than you, and a lot meaner, chased you and wanted to hurt you?"

"I'd scream loud enough to bring the house down," True said.

The Doctor leaned over to Baines. "Can she do that?"

Baines nodded. Just once.

"And what about you?" Danziger asked Ulysses. "What would you do if you were in danger?"

Ulysses very carefully placed his donut on a napkin, wiped the chocolate off his hands with another, picked up his staff and blew a hole in the wall.

The smoke cleared to reveal a room full of 19 people staring at the wall, and at Uly's chocolate-covered face, in awe.

"Well!" the Doctor stood up brightly. "I think that settles the question of danger."

"Uly!" Devon was horrified. "You had no right to do that!"

"The Time Lords have robot servants which will come in and repair the wall," he said, picking up his donut again. "It's okay."

"How did you know that, Ulysses?" the Doctor asked.

Uly shrugged his shoulders. "I don't know. I just did."

Devon and the Doctor traded a look.

"Don't worry about it, Devon," Romana said. "We long ago abolished any need for money here on Gallifrey, and the robot servants will find suitable materials to repair the wall. It really is all right."

"No, it's not all right!" she said hotly. "There are principles we live by. One of those principles is that we don't go around destroying property!" She leaned over to Ulysses. "And I will talk to you later, young man!"

Alonzo waved some of the smoke out of his eyes and said, "Well, Doctor, I think I speak for everyone when I say that we have no intention of leaving you in the lurch. Like you told us once – we'd never sleep at night again."

"Thank you," the Doctor said.

"What will happen to the Doctor's trial now that Parillon is dead?" Leela asked.

"Another defender from the Castellan's office will be assigned to his case," Konran said. "But I spoke with the Castellan earlier today and I got the impression that no one was volunteering. If they don't, the judge will simply call upon one of them to step forward, perhaps at the Castellan's recommendation."

"You mean the trial's not going to be delayed?" Yale asked. "Even after a murder?"

"The judge asked Andred if he wanted to delay, but he's really pressing this forward," Savil said, then shrugged lamely. "I don't know why."

Morgan spoke up. "Doctor, you represented yourself at both of your previous trials." When the others looked at him in surprise, he said, "I...did a little research out of professional interest. Doctor, you seemed to do a pretty good job. Why can't you represent yourself this time?"

"Believe me, I wanted to," the Doctor said. "But Gallifreyan law has been amended in recent times to require a defendant to have legal representation." He gave a sheepish grin. "I believe it may have been my own fault. I normally don't behave myself in a courtroom."

"You normally do not behave yourself elsewhere, either," Leela said simply. The Doctor stuck his tongue out at her.

"Doctor," Bess asked hesitantly, "Could...Reilly have murdered Parillon?"

"I doubt it," the Doctor said. "I can't possibly imagine he's knowledgeable enough about Gallifrey to get away with anything like that. No, the murderer was a Time Lord. Of that I'm certain."

"Any word yet on what Reilly's doing here?" Yale asked.

"None," Savil said. "Andred is really playing that card close to his chest. He won't speak of it to anyone. He's still adamant that we'll find out at the trial tomorrow."

"If this man is as evil as you say he is, then I do not fancy waiting that long," Leela said.

"Neither do I," Julia said, and her face was grim. "I think it's about time I had a talk with Reilly."

The others looked at her in surprise.

"You're not thinking of causing trouble, I hope," Romana said. "If you are, I can't protect you."

"I don't want any trouble, and I doubt he does, either," Julia assured her. "At least, not openly. But Reilly's one weakness is arrogance. I might get him to let something slip."

"Julia," the Doctor said. "I can't stop you from seeing Reilly, but I suspect you have more than one reason for doing so."

"What do you mean by that?" she asked.

"I mean, it's very tempting to take advantage of an opportunity like this to lay to rest ghosts of the past," the Doctor said. "I don't think you just want to pump Reilly for information. I think you have a need to see him in the flesh. To confront him in a way that makes you feel safer...and less victimized."

Julia looked down at the carpet, biting her lip. "Maybe you're right," she said. "He's haunted me for so long, I- I just want to be able to face him without the safety of VR and know that he has no power over me. I need to see him. I feel like it's something I have to do."

"Just be careful," the Doctor said. "That man is frighteningly intelligent. I'd wager his IQ is 200 or more, and he has very few weaknesses. He's a man who doesn't even let arrogance blind him. His only reason for appearing in the courtroom this morning was to rattle all of you and to make you look bad. And he succeeded."

"I'll be careful, Doctor," she said.

"You're not going to go see him alone, are you?" Alonzo asked.

"I think it would be best."

"I want to go with you."

"Alonzo, I...I just want to face him alone, okay?" she said.

"Why?" he asked. "Would it make you stronger or tougher to do it on your own? Wouldn't it be better to face him with people who care about you?"

"Alonzo's right," Devon said. "It's an awful thing to feel like you have to face something alone, and you don't have to. Besides, you're not the only one who needs to face him. The rest of us have a few reasons of our own. And I'm not comfortable with the thought of any of us seeing him alone. That seems to be inviting disaster."

Julia looked immensely relieved, obviously very touched by all of this. "All right," she said. "We'll go see him together."

"What, all of us?" Danziger asked.

"No," Devon said. "No, I think only a few of us should go. Julia, Alonzo, and myself, definitely. Perhaps one or two more."

Danziger sighed. "Count me in," he said.

"Can I go?" Uly asked.

"You are not to go anywhere near that man, do you understand me?" Devon snapped, fear in her eyes.

Uly just shrugged. "If it would be bad to go near him, then that could be my punishment for damaging the wall."

Devon just glared at him.

The Doctor said, "Your Tom-Sawyer-fence-painting act is pretty good there, Ulysses, but it needs just a little more practice to make it work."

"Don't encourage him, Doctor," Devon said. "He runs rings around me already."

"Leela," the Doctor said, changing the topic. "I know this is very painful, but I have to ask you something. When did Andred start being more aggressive?"

"Everything was fine until he came home for dinner two days ago," Leela said. "He gave me this bracelet as a token of his love for me." She held up her arm for the others to see. "But he was not his usual self. He just gave it to me and retreated into his study. Since that time he has hardly spoken to me. And no, Doctor, I do not know why."

The Doctor sighed. "Leela, this is the last thing in the world I want to ask, but could you find that out? I believe something is very wrong, and Andred may be in danger."

Leela held her head high for just a moment, as if about to say something. Then the moment passed and she slumped her shoulders. "You are a great shaman, Doctor," she said. "I would not investigate my own husband at the request of anyone else but you. If you believe it needs to be done, then I will do it."

"Thank you," the Doctor said. "I don't think you'll regret it.

"When did you want to go see Reilly?" Devon asked Julia.

She shrugged. "No time like the present."

"Then why don't we get that over with." The others all nodded and got to their feet, again planning to go their different ways.

"Mate in five moves," K9 suddenly announced.

"I agree," Zero said. "Mate in five moves. Well-played, K9."

"Who won?" the Doctor asked eagerly.

"I did," K9 said, rolling away from the chess board. "It was simple."

At this remark, Zero suddenly stopped and looked at K9, but the smaller robot didn't seem to be aware of the implied insult. Zero then looked back at the chess board, as if contemplating it in sadness.

Romana asked, "Do you want me or someone else to accompany you when you see Reilly? It might help matters later if you have a witness."

Devon hesitated, then said, "No, thank you. I think this is something we need to handle ourselves."

The others all filed out of the suite, leaving Morgan and Bess alone. Bess made a comical face as she looked through the new hole in their wall into the suite next door, saying, "Now that's something you don't see every day."

Behind her, Morgan just fell onto the sofa, stretched out and staring at the ceiling. "Why are we staying here, Bess?" he asked. "Parillon's dead. Someone killed him. First that spy on the colony ship, now this. How many murderers is a normal guy supposed to come across in one lifetime, anyway?"

"Well, Morgan, maybe you're not a normal guy any more," Bess said simply.

Morgan blinked at the ceiling twice. "What?"

"I mean, we're pioneers now," Bess said, coming to sit on the couch next to him. "We have been for a couple of years. Murderers are like any other problem, Morgan. They don't just go away magically, they have to be dealt with. And on G889 you became very good at dealing with problems yourself instead of expecting someone else to deal with them for you. Didn't you?"

"Bess, this isn't G889," Morgan said. "It's about as far away from a rustic planet as you can get. We don't have to deal with things here. Here, they have a police force, even if it's not a very good one. It's their problem, not ours, and I don't see any reason for us to stay here and put our lives in danger for a bunch of pompous, overblown bureaucrats."

Bess's mouth opened in astonishment. "Morgan Horatio Martin," she said, and Morgan instantly knew he was in the doghouse. Deep, this time. "I cannot believe you just said that. We are not here for a bunch of pompous, overblown bureaucrats, we are here for the Doctor. Do you understand that? Don't you realize what he's done for us? When the Doctor learned Uly had been kidnapped and would be experimented on, did he say, 'Oh, it's the humans' problem, I'm not going to get involved?' If he hadn't arrived that day Ulysses would have died. And he and Romana both risked their lives for our colony ship, and brought all those people down safely! The Doctor has done a lot for us in the short time that we've known him, and just for once, Morgan, I think you could show some willingness to give of yourself to someone who's given to you!" She stood up and headed for the door. "I hope you get used to that hole in the wall over there, because this couch is where you're sleeping tonight!" She stormed out.

Morgan just stared after her in shock. Then his head fell back and he once again stared at the ceiling. He lay there, thinking.

Then his stomach churned wildly as he had yet another idea.

It was a long shot, but he got up and went to the computer. This time, he didn't attempt to discover the future secrets of G889. He found what he needed very easily and to his surprise he saw that his idea was possible. He told the computer to print a map which would show him how to get to where he wanted to go.

Half an hour later Morgan was walking through the vast halls of the Prydonian College, hesitantly following his map. All around him groups of people were discussing philosophy and science. The sheer size of the college made their conversations hushed. Consulting his map, he maneuvered through the huge columns to a side chamber. It held several rows of desks and one bored attendant.

"Um...hi," Morgan said. "Excuse me. I'm interested in doing some research, if that's all right."

The attendant was very old and looked as if he wanted to be anywhere else but there. A name plate identified him as Amberton. "You're an off-worlder, are you?" he asked.

"Um...well, yes," Morgan said. "Is it that obvious?"

"Access?"

Morgan just stared at him. "What?"

Amberton grew impatient. "What is your access level?"

"Oh, um...Grade 1, I think."

"For an off-worlder? I hardly think so," Amberton said. "Place your hand over the palm print." He motioned to a pad in front of him.

Morgan did so and the man checked the reading. "Well, isn't that incredible?" he asked himself. "An off-worlder with Grade 1. Well, Mr. Morgan Martin, you're free to browse, peruse, read and research anything you want to. You can have all information displayed in the language of your choice, provided it's one of the 20,769,157,992,482 languages in the database. However, if you research any information about the future or about any advanced technological secrets, such as the ability to travel in time, that information will simply be wiped from your brain before you leave. You will not be allowed access to any information until you sign these forms in triplicate which indicate that you agree to these terms."

"Uh, sure, that will be fine," Morgan said. "That's not the information I want to look up, anyway."

"Oh?" Amberton asked, obviously surprised, showing his first genuine interest since Morgan walked in. "What do you want to research, then?"

 

Julia took a deep breath and pressed the call button beside the door. She didn't know whether to be relieved or apprehensive when no one answered.

"He's not home," Alonzo said.

Danziger shrugged. "Would you be, if you were on vacation?" he asked.

Devon saw a cleaning robot in the corridor and stopped it. "Excuse me. We're looking for Mr. Reilly, the man who is staying in this room," she pointed. "Do you know where he went."

The robot paused to confer with its fellow cleaning robots, scattered throughout the building. "Yes," it said. "The individual you seek was seen walking towards Omega Park. Perhaps you will find him there."

"Thank you," Devon said. The four of them left.

The robot paused for one microsecond before resuming its cleaning. During that microsecond, it passed on the information to its fellow workers that for the first time in its thousand-year life, an organic had said, "Thank you."

The other robots expressed equal surprise before returning to their work.

 

"There he is," Devon said.

Reilly was standing on a beautifully carved bridge spanning a small pond. He had his hands on the rail, gazing out over the water, his back turned to them. Surrounding them were beautiful lush plants of all kinds. The four colonists slowly stepped onto the bridge. The water was calm, peaceful. Its smooth surface reflected the deep, rich colors around them.

"Reilly?" Julia asked.

He didn't turn around. "I thought we agreed to stay away from each other."

"We agreed that it would be a good idea," Devon said. "And we agreed not to fight here on Gallifrey. But we still want to talk."

Reilly turned to face them, smiling pleasantly, and it wasn't an act. He truly did not fear them at all. Something about him made Alonzo's skin crawl. The Doctor was right, he was intelligent.

Frighteningly intelligent.

"Well, here we all are," Reilly said. "Devon Adair, Julia Heller, John Danziger and, oh, yes, the one who doesn't think I know how to spell, Alonzo Solace. S-O-L-A-C-E, in case you have any doubts, Mr. Solace. And here I am. Talk away."

Julia said, "First of all, as perverse as it sounds, I feel it's my duty to report to you that we found out about Hanson. He's dead, and your plan to destroy the colony ship failed."

"I take it you mean that most of the people on board the colony ship survived," Reilly corrected her. "But the plan to destroy the colony ship did not fail. The explosion which damaged the fuel tank was quite impressive, and so was the crash."

"You saw it happen?" Alonzo asked.

"Oh, indeed. Now, don't misunderstand, I didn't plan the crash. Again, that was Blalock's job. I was observing the colony's approach, and when the fuel tank blew all I could do was watch. I couldn't help. But I wished I could."

"I have a hard time believing that," Alonzo said.

"I'm sure you do," Reilly said. "Not that it matters. And the loss of Hanson means nothing to me. He was Blalock's man. I had no dealings with him."

"That's not what he told us," Danziger said.

Reilly just shrugged.

"You seem to like blaming Dison Blalock for everything, don't you?" Devon asked.

"Blalock was a fool," Reilly said. "I'm not. If you interpret that as blame, Ms. Adair, I can't help that."

"How did you come into contact with the Time Lords?" Julia asked.

Reilly just laughed once. "Does it matter?"

"Does it matter?" Danziger echoed. "Of course it matters! It's not like you could possibly have known about them."

"Well, if you must know, the Time Lords asked me to come here as part of a trial. I was very intrigued, so of course, I said yes."

"And why were you brought here?" Julia asked. "You've never even met the Doctor."

"I believe that question was answered this morning," Reilly said. "You'll find out at the trial tomorrow."

"Why not give us a sneak preview of the trial?" Danziger asked. "I mean, what could you possibly be afraid of?"

Reilly just gave Danziger a thin smile, as if to say, "Nice try."

"My lips are sealed," he said. "All you have to know is that you might be surprised tomorrow. I strongly suspect that your merry band needs to prepare itself for a paradigm shift."

"A paradigm shift?" Danziger asked.

"Do you always repeat everything you hear?" Reilly asked him. "A paradigm shift is what I said. And don't bother asking me any more because I'm not telling. Now, I suggest we all back off to our respective corners before we ruin this pretty day for each other."

Julia looked Reilly up and down briefly, wondering if there was anything else she wanted to say to him, anything else she needed to say. Reilly returned her gaze, and an odd moment passed between them. A feeling, perhaps, of professional regard, or thoughts of what was, or what might have been. Perhaps Reilly was thinking of his two defeats at their hands, although it didn't show. Julia suddenly had a wild impulse that she should say something polite, like "Well, it was good seeing you."

Old habits really do die hard, she thought.

But then the moment was gone and she just nodded and turned away. Alonzo held her harm, glaring at Reilly, as they started to leave.

Devon approached him. The others stopped and waited for her.

"There's just one thing I want to say," she said, and although her voice was quiet, her words were crystal clear and everyone heard them. "I can't make you leave your space station, and I can't keep you from settling on the surface of G889 without my consent. But you forget about trying to use people to control the planet. And don't you dare, ever, ever, ever attempt to kidnap my son again. Don't even think his name. Just blot his existence from your mind, because you will never have him. If you make any attempt to harass or kidnap any of the people of New Pacifica, you will regret it."

"I don't know what you're talking about, Devon," Reilly said.

"I don't give a damn what you say out loud!" Devon shook with rage. "You do know what I'm talking about, and there's something I want you to consider very carefully.

"You may think of yourself as unreachable in your space station. You may think we can't harm you. But we've got a thousand people now, and soon, 250 of them will be in communion with the metaphysical plane of G889. That's a whole planet, Reilly. Everything, including the Terrians, on our side.

"I don't care how big your space station is, it's not bigger than the planet. The Terrians helped us get the colony ship down in one piece, even when it was still over a kilometer off the ground. They have incredible powers, and those powers have barely been tapped. And if you don't want those powers aimed at you, I suggest you watch your step. Do I make myself clear, Reilly?"

Reilly just smiled at her, but it was the smile of the cobra before striking. "Get away from me, Devon," he said. "My patience is gone."

"So is mine," Devon said. With that, she turned and walked away, without looking back. Danziger, Julia and Alonzo went with her.

When they were out of earshot Julia let out a sigh of relief. "You were right," she said. "It was a lot better to face him with friends than alone. Thanks."

Just before they left the park Danziger turned to take one final look. Reilly was still on the bridge, but from far away it looked as if he was doubled over and in pain. For a moment, he thought that maybe they'd affected him more than he'd let on. But then he dismissed it as wishful thinking.

No, he thought, the Doctor was right. If Reilly had any weaknesses, they certainly didn't know what they were.

Chapter 7 Chapter 9

Back to the The Boy Who Would Be Time Lord King chapter selection page

Back to the Crossover stories list

Back to the Fan Fiction page

Back to my home page