The Boy Who Would Be Time Lord King

Prologue

(Being an excerpt from "The Doctor Who Fell to Earth (Two)")

They all smiled and waved good-bye as the Doctor, Romana and K9 entered the TARDIS and shut the door.

Devon stood next to Danziger, looking at the police box wistfully. "And several hundred years from now," she said, "a couple of regenerations down the road, he'll land on this planet again. A ZED will fire on him, and he'll almost blow us up with a worm bullet. And he won't remember who we are."

Danziger put his arm around her and squeezed her shoulder. "Well...somethin' tells me he'll be okay."

They smiled at each other.

The light on top blinked and whirled, and with a tremendous effort of wheezing and groaning, the TARDIS faded away.

They all turned to go, then stopped and turned as the wheezing, groaning sound reappeared.

And materializing in exactly the same spot as the TARDIS was another box, a plain white cube. As they watched, a door opened in its side and a strange man stepped out.

He was dressed in a regal gown, gold with a dark blue pattern. He wore an odd-looking head-piece, consisting of a skull cap with a wide arch attached to the back of it, as if he were wearing the headrest of a car.

"Do I have the pleasure of addressing the group of people known collectively as 'Eden Advance?'" he asked politely.

Everyone glanced at each other, and Devon stepped forward. "Yes. What do you want?"

"Allow me to introduce myself." The stranger bowed. "I am Parillon, magistrate of the Castellan's office, High Council of Time Lords, Gallifrey." He stood there expectantly, as if this would make everything clear.

"And?" Devon asked.

He coughed politely. "Forgive me. You are acquainted with the Doctor, is that correct?"

"Look, buddy, what do you want?" Danziger snapped. "You've got everyone spooked by suddenly appearing out of nowhere like that!"

"Oh. So sorry." Parillon smiled. "I have never had contact with humans before, and I wasn't sure how to address you. Let me be succinct." He steepled his fingers for a moment, as if wondering how to phrase what he had to say.

"This is a matter concerning your friend the Doctor, being in his eighth incarnation (er, that's the one you met some time last year, the tall skinny one with the wild hair). He has been apprehended – yet again – by the Castellan's office, and is to be put on trial for a crime he committed while on this planet, and it is a crime most severe. If he is found guilty, he will almost certainly be forfeit his remaining regenerations and sentenced to death."

Everyone was stunned.

"Why?" Julia asked. "What did he do?"

"I shall explain on the way."

"The way to where?" Danziger asked.

"To Gallifrey. I have been appointed as the Doctor's defending solicitor, and I am calling the 15 surviving members of Eden Advance, including the children, plus the robot, to serve as witnesses for the defense. I had to wait until the Doctor's fourth incarnation left before I could make contact with you, you see. But now that he is gone, we can be on our way. If you will follow me." He turned to go.

"W- wait a minute," Devon said. "What are you saying? You want us to go with you to another planet?"

Parillon turned back, blinking in surprise, as if he was re-evaluating the people in front of him. "Yes. I believe that is what I said."

"We have a colony here!" Devon snapped, motioning behind her. "A thousand people have just arrived, and they know nothing about this planet! We are the only ones who can help them and guide them! We can't just take off because you want us to!"

"That has been anticipated," Parillon said. "I have been instructed to tell you that, due to special circumstances, I will be allowed to bring you back to this planet mere moments after you left. You will lose no time here. In the meantime, while on Gallifrey, you will be treated as our guests, and shown our best hospitality." He smiled.

Everyone on the beach was silent.

"And what if we don't go?" Danziger asked.

"Then the Doctor will have no defense, and he will be found guilty," Parillon said.

"So, you're saying," Bess said slowly, "that the Doctor's life is in our hands."

"Yes," Parillon replied. "That's exactly what I'm saying."

They all looked at each other, then back at Parillon.

Devon sighed, and shook her head. "I can't believe this!" she exclaimed, and strode forward. One by one, the members of Eden Advance slowly stepped forward and filed into the strange box.

Danziger was last, holding True's hand. He turned to Dr. Vasquez, standing on the beach, bewildered. "Don't go anywhere, doc. If all goes well, I guess we'll be right back."

They walked inside and the door closed. With a grating noise, the strange white box quickly disappeared, leaving Dr. Vasquez alone on the sand.

Prelude Chapter 1

Back to the The Boy Who Would Be Time Lord King chapter selection page

Back to the Crossover stories list

Back to the Fan Fiction page

Back to my home page