Healing

Chapter 9

The Strangest In-Laws

"Elsa, I need to talk to you," Anna said.

Elsa, sitting at the desk in her study, set aside the papers she was reading and motioned for Anna to take a seat.

Anna closed the door and sat down. The sisters were alone.

"Elsa, I know you want me to have the perfect wedding. And I appreciate it. But planning my wedding and preparing for your trip at the same time is obviously taking a toll on you, and it hurts my heart to see you run yourself ragged."

"But both things are so very important to me!"

"I know! But there are other people in the castle besides yourself. Please think about delegating some things."

Elsa scowled. "I am delegating things."

"And then insisting on reviewing everything in detail, which defeats the purpose. Look, Elsa...please. You can take four days to choose the perfect color of the icing on the cake, but when you become grumpy as a result, that weighs on my heart, and it's the grumpiness I'm going to remember most. Your frantic need to make my wedding perfect is so agonizing to watch that it defeats the purpose."

Elsa sighed. "I just want to do right by you, Anna."

Anna reached down to grab the chair and scooted it forward in a very unladylike way, until she was close to Elsa, then reached out and took Elsa's hands.

"Listen to me very carefully, Elsa, because I don't want you to think I'm just saying this to be polite. I'm saying this because I really mean it. The details don't matter. When Kristoff and I exchange our vows, the only thing in the whole world I'll care about is that you're there beside me."

"Anna, I shut you out for so many years, and you were prepared to sacrifice yourself to save me. This is my chance to do something wonderful for you, to set you on a pedestal on the most wonderful day of your life."

Anna smiled. "I know. I understand that, really I do. Don't think for one moment that I don't. But the little details like seating charts, and cake icing color, and whether the drapes match my dress, are not what make the day important."

"But..."

"Listen. You want to do something wonderful for me, right?"

"Absolutely!"

"Do you love me?"

"With all of my heart!"

"Well, there you go! Mission accomplished. See, that wasn't so hard, was it?" Anna smiled at her.

Elsa gave her a tired smile of acceptance in return. "I know it's not important to you, and I understand what you're saying. But Anna, I have a deep need to do something incredible for you. Something dazzling. It's something I can't explain, and I beg you to understand it. This need will never go away until I fulfill it. And I can't think of any better opportunity than your wedding."

"We can postpone the wedding until you return from your trip."

"No. You told me once that you want a summer wedding, when the world is full of warmth and flowers, and I won't return until the midpoint of autumn. And I'm certainly not having you postpone your wedding for an entire year just for me."

"Yet planning my wedding and preparing for your trip simultaneously is grinding you down."

"I'll find a way to handle it."

"All right, but will you please promise me that you'll ease up on yourself about all the details?"

Elsa hesitated, then said, "I can't make that promise. Like I said, this is a need I can't describe. I want to see this through."

"Then how about an alternative? My birthday is in the spring. What if you eased up on the wedding plans, and instead, concentrated on making my birthday super special? That would give you a lot more time, and would also fulfill your deep need to do something wonderful for me."

Elsa blushed. "I suppose this is as good a time as any to tell you that I'm already planning something super special for your birthday, in addition to making your wedding perfect."

Anna laughed and shook her head. "Well, I obviously cannot dissuade you. I didn't really think I could. But seriously, Elsa." She lovingly put a hand on the side of Elsa's face. "The greatest wedding gift you can give me is not to run yourself into the ground. That gift would be greater than all others combined. If you give me a day that's technically perfect but emotionally empty, that is not a perfect day. I want my sister at my wedding, happy and healthy. Everything else is subordinate to that. I'm not going to leave unless you promise to remember that."

"I understand," Elsa said solemnly. "And I promise you I will remember that."

"Thank you."

They embraced.

After they pulled apart, Anna asked, "So what can I do to at least lift the burden of your travel plans?"

Elsa reached into her pile of papers and produced a letter. "Queen Victoria's reply vexes me. In one paragraph, she implies that I would be welcome to visit, then in the next paragraph, she implies the opposite. But she doesn't explicitly say one way or the other. The tone of the letter is also vaguely hostile, hinting that she would take action against me should I practice sorcery in her realm."

"Queen Victoria's fear and dislike of anything supernatural are well known."

"Actually, I believe that to be a rumor. I have heard reliable reports that she and her husband participate in seances."

"Really?"

"But whatever the case, her letter is useless, and I want to strangle the woman. I need to write her a letter that is polite, yet stresses the need for a definitive, swift response. My entire schedule hangs upon her answer."

"Maybe she knows that, and her lack of a definitive response is merely a way of trying to put you in your place."

"Oh, I'm sure it is. That's why I want to strangle her."

Anna smiled, then looked thoughtful. "Or maybe she wants to see you, but she's afraid. Maybe she's trying to tell you, as best as she knows how, that if you first promise not to use any magic, then she'll feel comfortable granting you an audience. If that's what she wants, there's no polite way she could possibly say it, because no matter how she worded it, it would always sound like a threat, even though she wouldn't mean it as one."

"Hmm," Elsa said. "That is another way to interpret her words, and you could be right. This is why many minds are good; sometimes one person sees something that another person doesn't. And I like your theory, because I cannot possibly imagine that Queen Victoria would refuse to see me."

"Why do you say that?"

"Because she knows I'll also be visiting her enemies, so if I don't visit her, she'll be left burning with curiosity and harboring suspicions of alliances. No ruler would ever allow that to happen."

"England doesn't really have enemies in this part of the world any more. They've actually been at peace with France for several decades, which is some kind of a record."

"It is remarkable, but that doesn't mean they're friends."

Anna gave a sharp intake of breath as she suddenly thought of something. "Some of our neighbors are probably going to ask you to use your magic to help them in their own wars!"

Elsa nodded. "Believe me, I am fully aware of what awaits me. But I will firmly adhere to my own agenda: reassuring others of our neutrality, our strength, and our peaceful intentions."

Anna nodded. "You wish me to write a reply to Queen Victoria?"

"Yes. I would like the draft finished by supper, if possible. Promise her that I would never do anything to displease her, whether it be magical or not. It would be a huge burden off my shoulders."

"Consider it done!"

Anna backpedaled her feet, scooting her chair back to its original position. Again, she looked very unlike a princess when she did this, but she looked completely like the typical Anna. It made Elsa smile.

Anna stood and headed for the door. Just before she reached it, she turned to Elsa and said, "Oh, yes. I almost forgot. What are you and the seamstress up to in your room? You've practically barricaded the poor woman in there."

Elsa smiled. "It's somewhat of a secret, but thank you for reminding me, because you need to know." She stood and indicated a large pocket sewn onto the right side of her dress. It was barely noticeable. "I've ordered the seamstress to sew a pocket onto every dress I own, and to make it blend into the dress's fabric as best as she can, because I don't want to call attention to it. If I ever need to take the bracers off in an emergency, I want a place to put them so I won't lose them."

"That makes sense," Anna said. "You're pretty smart. You ought to be in charge of this place."

Elsa fluttered her eyes and pretended to fan herself. "Flattery will get you everywhere."

Anna giggled at her and left.

Elsa walked to the window and looked out, wondering how she could possibly give Anna her perfect wedding without running herself ragged. In the distance, she saw Kristoff, Sven and Olaf walking together and laughing, and the answer, in all its simplicity, suddenly appeared.

 

In the end, Queen Victoria sent word that she would gladly entertain a visit by Queen Elsa, and Anna's wedding day was indeed perfect.

The wedding was not witnessed by many people. Anna and Kristoff ultimately decided that they wanted a small, private ceremony. They held it in the cathedral. Anna's white wedding gown was intricate and gorgeous, but beyond that, the wedding did not involve a lot of fanfare.

Elsa was Anna's bridesmaid. Olaf was there, as well as Gerda and Kai, who had been friends as much as servants since before the sisters were born. Most notably, Grand Pabbie and some of the other rock trolls were also there, visiting the town and the castle for the first time. Elsa had sent a surrey to bring them, because, with their short legs, walking to the castle would have been an arduous trek.

The reception in the ballroom was really what embodied Elsa's idea: the simplicity of commoners. Anna was a bit quirky and, at times, very unlike a princess; she was marrying a commoner; and no foreign dignitaries were invited. When Elsa had put these facts together in her mind, she had realized that an ostentatious wedding reception would be nothing more than a wasted opportunity.

While her coronation had been a regal and high-class affair, Anna's wedding reception was more laid back. The common townsfolk wandered freely about the ground floor of the castle, laughing, singing folk songs, and dancing whenever they felt like it. An impromptu band formed without any organization at all. Beer was served in the courtyard, champagne was served inside. Elsa's only rule was that no beer was to enter the castle, because she felt it would stink for days afterward. Other than that, the people could do what they wanted. It had the general feel of a party given by one of the neighbors, only this particular neighbor just happened to be the queen. It was absolutely perfect, suiting the personalities of her sister and new brother-in-law, and she'd hardly had to do a thing.

Elsa wandered through the crowd, just being friendly. She had her bracers with her (indeed, she never wanted to be parted from them), but did not wear them because occasionally someone would ask her to make a snowflake, and she didn't want people to see her taking the bracers off and putting them back on.

But she tried to keep displays of her power to a minimum, and whenever someone requested a demonstration, she used her tact and conversational skills to steer people away from the topic as best she could. She did this because this was Anna's night, not hers, and she was not interested in showing off. But she also did this because she did not want her magical power to become her identity. She desperately wanted to be known as Elsa, Queen of the People, not Elsa, the Frost Queen Who Could Make Snowflakes.

Elsa was not accustomed to staying up late, but she wanted the party to last as long as the people wanted it to, and she didn't want to leave until it was over. Around midnight she felt drowsy, so she put the bracers on as a precaution. By two in the morning, her thoughts were fuzzy, but the party started to wind down about that time. By three, the party had mostly dissolved, so she asked the servants if they could handle it from there, and they assured her they could.

Elsa went to Anna and Kristoff, who looked like they could have stayed up partying until dawn. Elsa kissed Kristoff on the cheek and said, "You are the best brother-in-law I could ask for. Welcome to the family."

He smiled and bowed.

Elsa and Anna held each other for a long time.

"Thank you," Anna said, her voice full of emotion. "This has been a day to remember. It was beyond perfect. Thank you so much."

"You are so very welcome," Elsa said, and kissed her on the cheek. "But even perfect days must give way to sleep, and sleep is where I shall be within ten minutes. Good night!"

"Good night!" they both said, bowing.

Elsa went to bed, happy as kitten with a ball of yarn that she had arranged a perfect day for Anna. One of her two major tasks was complete. Now she could concentrate on her trip, which would begin in three days.

 

The rock trolls were set to leave the next day after lunch, but before they did, Elsa asked to see Grand Pabbie in her study because she needed his advice. She asked Anna and Kristoff to join them, because she felt it was vital that they have the same knowledge she did, in case anything ever happened to her.

Elsa related to Grand Pabbie her conversation with Maren in detail, and showed him the bracers.

Grand Pabbie sighed. "I do not like it, but I also know what is at stake, so I cannot fault you for entering into your bargain with the nix."

"Do you have any thoughts or advice on the matter?" Elsa asked.

Grand Pabbie said, "Even if Maren is not overtly dangerous, my instinct tells me she will seek to twist your bargain somehow. It is a nix's nature to cause mischief. I strongly urge you never to visit her again, unless you deem it to be absolutely necessary. Did you sense that Maren feared you?"

"Feared me? No, quite the opposite."

"Your power is phenomenal, Queen Elsa," Grand Pabbie said. "If Maren ever becomes hostile, I feel you could defeat her easily, simply by freezing her domain."

"And that would freeze her, as well?" Elsa asked.

"It would," Grand Pabbie said. "There is no distinction between a nix and her home. When a nix claims a body of water, she doesn't just live in it, she becomes it. The water becomes her. They are the same. And in all probability, you could crush her with a wave of your hand. I believe Maren came to the surface to speak with you not just because you wield the power of an elemental, but because she was terrified."

"If she was scared of Elsa, she hid it well," Anna said. Elsa nodded.

"Nixie are masters of deceit," Grand Pabbie said.

"Could she have lied to us outright about the bracers?" Anna asked.

"I doubt it," Grand Pabbie said. "Perhaps I should have said, nixie are masters of subtle deceit. If she is truly frightened of Queen Elsa, as I surmise, she would not dare incur the queen's wrath. Yet, as I said, mischief is their nature, and sometimes they cannot resist. All I can say is, be wary."

Grand Pabbie held Elsa's hands and said, "Please do not take my belief in your ability to defeat Maren easily as certain truth, for I have never met Maren and therefore I do not know the extent of her power. I only tell you what I believe is probably true."

"I understand," Elsa said. "Thank you."

The royal family escorted Grand Pabbie to the surrey waiting to take the trolls home. Kristoff's adoptive mother gave Anna a big hug and said, "It's so wonderful to have a daughter-in-law!"

"It's so wonderful to have a mother-in-law!" Anna replied.

The trolls hugged Kristoff and bowed to the queen, then piled into the surrey. As they rode away, half of them kept waving, while the other half were already asleep.

"It's official," Anna said. "I have the strangest in-laws in the world."

 

Elsa and Anna stood side by side in Elsa's study, holding hands. They stared straight ahead with hardly any motion. The clock ticked away the minutes, and still, they did not move.

"Queen Elsa, chin up just a tad," Erik said. "Too far. Down a hair. Yes, there. Thank you." Erik's brush moved swiftly and surely across the canvas.

The door opened and one of the queen's councilors entered and bowed. "Forgive the interruption, Your Majesty, but you instructed us to inform you of any developments."

"We shall take a break," Elsa said to Erik. "Please give us a moment."

Erik bowed, set down his palette and brush, and left.

"Your Majesty, we have received word from Weselton," the councilor said, holding out a letter.

Elsa gently opened the envelope and read the letter. If Anna and Elsa had been alone, Anna would have stood next to her and read it with her, but in the presence of the councilor, Anna maintained decorum and stood nearby.

Elsa smiled and handed the letter to Anna, who read it swiftly. It explained that the duke had retired, and his nephew Prince Heinrich now ruled Weselton. Prince Heinrich was deeply apologetic of the way his uncle had behaved and wanted to re-open trade with Arendelle.

"It happened exactly as you said it would," Anna said with wonder and respect.

"And no one is more relieved than I am," Elsa said. To the councilor, she said, "I shall compose my reply tonight or tomorrow. Is there any other news?"

"No, Your Majesty."

"Very well. Thank you, and dismissed."

The councilor bowed and left.

While they were talking, Anna had wandered over to see how their portrait was progressing. Elsa came to join her. The portrait was about two-thirds complete.

"He really is very good," Anna said.

"Yes. I was afraid he wouldn't be as good as his father, but he seems to have inherited his talent."

"Did Erik's father paint Father's portrait?"

"He did," Elsa said, gazing up at the portrait of their father which hung over the desk. "His family has painted the royal portraits for four generations."

"Yesterday's portrait has probably been hung!" Anna said. "Let's go see!"

They walked down the corridor to a point just outside the parlor, where a portrait of Anna and Kristoff now adorned the wall. Erik came along, making his way back to the study.

"It's beautiful!" Anna told him.

Erik smiled and bowed. "I am honored. And yes, I am pleased with it also."

"Will we be able to finish the portraits today?" Elsa asked.

"That should not be a problem," Erik said. "We are on schedule. You know, I don't think any previous ruler ever commissioned multiple portraits."

"That's probably true," Elsa said as they made their way back to the study. "But Anna's wedding and my coronation took place so close together that it only made sense to have you do both at once. And truth be told, I am only posing for the solo portrait because it is tradition. Anna is my rock and my right hand. She is practically a co-ruler with me. Any portrait which shows me standing alone is not an accurate portrait, and I know I shall feel empty every time I see it because someone is missing. The portrait of me and Anna together is the one I shall cherish, and the one I hope our descendants hold in high regard. As far as I'm concerned, it is the real portrait."

Anna's face was red. "You honor me so much."

Elsa smiled at her. "And I mean every word."

They entered the study. Elsa and Anna once more held hands and posed, and Erik once again took up his palette and brush.

 

Anna's heart beat fast. She tried not to let her emotions show, but she just wasn't as good at hiding them as Elsa was. She tried not to look out the study window, at the luggage being loaded onto the ship. Kristoff took her hand and squeezed it. Anna gave a tight smile, but her anxiety did not ease.

Elsa packed the valise with all the documents she felt she might need, as well as a few books to read on the journey, then closed the case and locked it with a padlock. The key to the padlock was on a necklace. She put the necklace on and tucked it inside her clothing so that it was not visible.

"Please take that to the ship," Elsa said. "I'll be along in a moment."

Kai bowed and left with the valise, closing the door behind him, leaving the royal family alone.

Elsa turned to Anna and said, "Well, you got married, but I'm the one taking a trip."

Anna couldn't bring herself to answer.

Elsa came to Anna and took her hands. Anna tried to stop herself from weeping but it was already too late.

"I'll only be gone for three weeks," Elsa said reassuringly.

"The last time someone I love took a voyage by sea, they didn't come back," Anna said, her face twisted in pain and grief. This made Elsa begin to weep, also. It had been three years, but the heartache never really healed. For either of them.

"I can guarantee nothing," Elsa said. "You know that. But I'm voyaging on our finest vessel, the Andersen, sailed by our finest crew. And I possess magic, and while I wish I had been born normal, there have been occasions when that magic has saved lives, including my own."

Anna pulled her into a tight embrace. "I shall count the days until you return."

"I know," Elsa said. "But count each day only once, then set your fear aside. Perform your duties and enjoy life."

Elsa kissed Anna on the cheek, and they pulled apart. Elsa stepped back a little and said, "Let's do this properly."

Anna nodded, bit back her tears, and somehow stood a little straighter.

"I leave my kingdom on a journey," Elsa said. "I hereby appoint you, Princess Anna, to rule in my stead until I return. The people shall follow your decisions and your commands as if they were my own."

Anna curtsied solemnly. "I accept the responsibility, and I look forward to your return, my dearest Queen Elsa."

They hugged once more for many moments.

Then Elsa turned to Kristoff, who bowed. His manner was much more relaxed. "Have a good trip, Your Majesty," he said. "We'll see you when you get back."

Elsa smiled and nodded. Then she left, turning in the doorway to give a last wave to them both.

After a moment, Kristoff said, "You know, it really will be okay."

"In my head I know that to be true. But in my heart I am sorely afraid."

Anna stood at the window and watched Elsa board the ship. Kristoff, who had no fear for the queen at all, wanted to get on with his day, but he knew that if he walked away, it would feel as if he was leaving Anna to face her worries alone. So he stood and watched alongside her like a good husband.

It was a long wait. Anna watched until the ship sailed out of sight, and continued watching the ocean for several minutes beyond that.

Finally, just to break the tension, she gently slugged Kristoff on the arm, who gently slugged her back. They smiled at each other and got on with their day.

Chapter 8 Chapter 10

Back to the Healing chapter selection page

Back to the Frozen stories list

Back to the Fan Fiction page

Back to my home page